Nutritive value of banana and oats
Banana – the all-time favorite and affordable fruit
Banana has been all time fruit for hundreds of years now. It has many curative properties. This fruit is easily affordable by all men and is available in plenty. All varieties of banana are beneficial in their own way.
Banana provides sufficient energy and is rich in fiber content and natural sugars like sucrose, fructose and glucose.
Banana helps overcome or prevent a number of illnesses.
- Depression: Banana has a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make people relax and feel happier
- Pre Menstrual Syndrome (PMS): Vitamin B6 in banana regulates blood glucose levels, which can influence one's mood
- Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
- Blood Pressure: Banana has high potassium but low salt, making it a suitable diet to beat blood pressure
- Brain Power: Research has shown that t the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert
- Constipation: The high fiber content in bananas helps restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome constipation
- Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, which helps in giving relief to heart burn
- Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.
- Strokes: eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%
- Oats are low in fat & salt; they are a good source of natural iron. Being a good source of calcium, they are ideal for heart, bones & nails
- It is the best source of soluble fiber. A serving of oats (half a cup, cooked) has nearly 4 grams of viscous soluble fiber (Beta Glucan). This fiber helps lower blood LDL cholesterol, the so-called “Bad” cholesterol.
- Oats absorb the extra fat & flush it out of the system. That is why they cure constipation because of the high soluble fiber & assist in regulating gastro-intestinal functions.
- A diet which is rich in oats may also help stabilize blood glucose levels
- Oats helps in nervous disorders
- Oats helps to cope with ovarian & uterine problems associated largely associated with the onset of menopause in women.
- Oats have some unique fatty acids & antioxidants which together with vitamin E slow cell damage & have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.
Source: National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.