National Scheme of Welfare of Fishermen
The Centrally Sponsored ‘National Scheme of Welfare of Fishermen’ provided financial assistance to fishers for construction of house among other things. The said scheme has ended on 31 March, 2020. The Department is currently implementing the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) for the welfare of the fishermen.
Benefits to the Fishermen
Fishermen who are in the marine and inland sector are entitled for the following benefits under the scheme.
- Livelihood and nutritional support for socio-economically backward active traditional fishers families during fishing ban/lean period. Under this component, assistance is provided @ Rs. 4500/- per fishers which includes Rs. 3000/- per fishers to be provided by the Governemntal and Rs. 1500/- to be contributed by the beneficiary for three months consisting of fishing ban/lean periods and
- Insurance to Fishers.
- The insurance coverage for fishers includes (i) Rs.5,00,000/- against accidental death or permanent total disability,
- Rs.2,50,000/- for permanent partial disability and
- Insurance coverage for hospitalization expenses in the event of accident for a sum of Rs. 25,000.
The States should keep the following criteria in view while selecting beneficiaries under the scheme:-
- Beneficiary should be a member of a functional local fishers cooperative society/Federation/any other registered body.
- Beneficiary should be Below Poverty Line (BPL) and of between 18 and 60 years of age
- The beneficiary fishers will save Rs. 1500 over a period of 9 months during fishing season annually towards their contribution with a bank designated by the State/UT Department of Fisheries. States/UTs will devise suitable modalities to ensure transparency and smooth implementation of this activity. Depositing of beneficiary contribution on a lump sum basis in a period of one or two months may be avoided.
How to apply
The scheme is to be implemented by the respective States and Union Territories (UT's).
Whom to contact
Contact the Department of Animal Husbandaries, Dairying and Fisheries of the respective state.
For more details,click here.
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.