National Mental Health Policy
As per Census 2011, there are 15,05,624 mentally challenged persons in the country.
The vision of the National Mental Health Policy is to promote mental health, prevent mental illness, enable recovery from mental illness, promote destigmatization and desegregation, and ensure socio-economic inclusion of persons affected by mental illness by providing accessible, affordable and quality health and social care to all persons through their life-span within a rights-based frame work.
Goals of the policy
- To reduce distress, disability, exclusion morbidity and premature mortality associated with mental health problems across life span of the person.
- To enhance understanding of the mental health in the country.
- To strengthen the leadership in the mental health sector at the national, state and district levels.
Objectives of the Policy
- To provide universal access to mental health care.
- To increase access to and utilisation of comprehensive mental health services by persons with mental health problems.
- To increase access to mental health care especially to vulnerable groups including homeless persons, persons in remote areas, educationally, socially and deprived sections.
- To reduce prevalence and impact of risk factors associated with mental health problems.
- To reduce risk and incidence of suicide and attempted suicide.
- To ensure respect for rights and protection from harm of persons with mental health problems.
- To reduce stigma associated with mental health problems.
- To enhance availability and equitable distribution of skilled human resources for mental health.
- To progressively enhance financial allocation and improve utilisation for mental health promotion and care.
- To identify and address the social, biological and psychological determinants of mental health problems and to provide appropriate interventions.
Source : National Mental Health Policy
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.