Empowerment of persons with disabilities is an inter-disciplinary process, covering various aspects namely, prevention, early detection, intervention, education, vocational training, rehabilitation and social integration etc. Apart from resources, it requires dedicated efforts of persons and institutions involved in the process of empowerment. In order to recognise their effort and encourage others to strive to achieve excellence in this field, the National Awards for Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities are being awarded every year.
Till 2017, the Award Scheme was governed under the National Awards Rules, 2013 which provided 7 categories of disabilities as per the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995. However, with the coming into force of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 w.e.f. 19th April 2017, the number of specified disabilities increased from 7 to 21 under the new Law. Accordingly, all the 21 disabilities have been included under the National Award Guidelines which have been notified in the Extraordinary Gazette of India dated 2nd August, 2018.
- Best Employees/Self-Employed With Disabilities
- Best Employers and Placement Officer/Agency
- Best individual and institution working for the Cause of persons with disabilities
- Role Model Awards
- Best Applied Research/Innovation/ Product Development Aimed At Improving the Life of Persons with Disabilities
- Outstanding work in the creation of barrier – Free Environment for the persons with disabilities
- Best district in providing Rehabilitation services
- Outstanding creative adult persons with Disabilities
- Best Creative Child with Disabilities
- Best Braille Press
- Best State in promoting empowerment of persons with disabilities
- Best Sport person with disability.
Who can apply
Applications are invited from eligible candidates or establishment or institutions fulfilling the prescribed criteria. To get the criteria laid down for each of the above categories of awards, and full details of the Scheme of National Awards, click here.
- The applications should be in Hindi or English only.
- The applications of those employed in the Central/State Government/Union Territory Administrations/Public Sector Undertakings should be sent in the prescribed proforma (either in Hindi or in English only) through the Ministry/Department/State Government/ Union Territory Administration/Public Sector Undertaking concerned duly approved by the competent authority in such Govt./Administration/Undertaking.
- In case of others (including self-employed, those in the private sector organizations/ unorganized sector and sportspersons), applications should be routed through and recommended by one of the following:-
- Department of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration dealing with disability matters.
- Central Ministry/Department dealing with the relevant subject or area.
- A National Institute (under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment or Health and Family Welfare) dealing with rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
- Principal Secretary/Secretary, Welfare of the concerned State.
- Collector of the concerned District.
- A past recipient of National Award for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities.
- Applications in the prescribed proforma should be accompanied by the following:-
- Two passport sized photographs (in the case of individuals).
- Bio-data along with summary of achievements and documents in support therof; and
- Draft citation (not exceeding one page)
- Application duly recommended and complete in all respect should be sent to
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan),
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Room No. 519, B-II, 5th Floor, Paryavaran Bhavan, C.G.O Complex New Delhi- 110 003,
- Initially, selection will be made by a committee appointed by each State/Union Territory. The composition of the committees will be left to the State Governments/Union Territory Administration.
- There shall be screening committees for short listing of awardees in different categories of national awards to ensure objective selection of the awardees in the context of nature of the award and relative merit. The desired attributes for each category of the award may be listed and the panel of awardees may be determined/short - listed in the order.
- The convenors of the Screening Committees will assist the National Selection Committee in selection process.
- The Chairpersons/Members of the different committees shall be decided in advance with the approval of Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- The National Selection Committee while selecting the candidates for the National Awards shall keep in mind that adequate representation should be given to all regions of the country and a balance between rural and urban awardees has to be kept. Due representation may also be given to women while selecting awardees in various categories for national awards.
List of recipients of National Awards for Empowerment of PwDs, 2020
Source : Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan)