Ministry of Minority Affairs
About the Ministry
The Ministry of Minority Affairs was created on 29th January, 2006 to ensure a more focused approach towards issues relating to the minorities and to facilitate the formulation of overall policy and planning, coordination, evaluation and review of the regulatory framework and development programmes for the benefit of the minority communities.
Vision and Mission
- Empowering the minority communities and creating an enabling environment for strengthening the multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-religious character of our nation.
- To improve the socio-economic conditions of the minority communities through affirmative action and inclusive development so that every citizen has equal opportunity to participate actively in building a vibrant nation. To facilitate an equitable share for minority communities in education, employment, economic activities and to ensure their upliftment.
Allocation of Business Rules
Allocation of Business Rules Subjects allocated to this Ministry as per Second Schedule to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 are:-
- Overall policy, planning, coordination, evaluation and review of the regulatory and development programmes of the minority communities.
- All matters relating to minority communities except matters relating to law and order.
- Policy initiatives for protection of minorities and their security in consultation with other Central Government Ministries and State Government.
- Matters relating to Linguistic Minorities and of the Office of the Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities.
- Matters relating to National Commission for Minorities Act.
- Work relating to the Evacuee Waqf properties under the Administration of Evacuee Property Act, 1950 (31 of 1950) (since repealed).
- Representation of the Anglo-Indian community.
- Protection and preservation of non-Muslim shrines in Pakistan and Muslim shrines in India in terms of the Pant-Mirza Agreement of 1955, in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Questions relating to the minority communities in neighboring countries, in consultation with the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Charities and charitable institutions, charitable and religious Endowments pertaining to subjects dealt with in the Department.
- Matters pertaining to the socio-economic, cultural and educational status of minorities, minority organizations, including the Maulana Azad Education Foundation.
- The Waqf Act, 1995 (43 of 1995) and Central Waqf Council.
- The Durgah Khawaja Saheb Act, 1955 (36 of 1955).
- Funding of programmes and projects for the welfare of minorities, including the National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation.
- Employment opportunities for minorities in the Central and State public sector undertakings, as also in the private sector.
- Formulation of measures relating to the protection of minorities and their security in consultation with other concerned Central Ministries and State Governments.
- National Commission for Socially and Economically Backward Sections among Religious and Linguistic Minorities.
- Prime Minister's new 15-Point Programme for Minorities.
- Any other issue pertaining to the minority communities.
Source : Ministry of Minorities Affairs, Government of India
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.