- Submit application form for new connection/ load extension /change in ownership duly filled in with all details to the concerned official either in person or by speed / registered post.
- Submit proper documents/ records to prove the legal ownership of the premises for which the electricity supply is required. In case you are tenant, produce evidence for lawful occupation of the premises.
- Get all the wiring job done by licensed electrical contractor. Use only standard ISI wires and wiring accessories of adequate Capacity and of good quality for the electrical wiring in the premises and also use only effectively earthed thin pin sockets for connecting all the appliances and provide proper earth. Secure electrical connection through use of proper rated Mini Circuit Breakers (MCBs)
- Pay security deposit and service connection charges before the specified date to avoid cancellation of the application on hearing from the department.
- Ensure that the licensed electrical wiring contractor or his authorized representative is present in your premises at the time of effecting supply for testing the installation and signing in the report.
- Provide space for fixing the meter at a convenient place in the ground for easy accessibility to the Assessor for taking meter reading.
- Connect additional loads which draw more power like Air conditioners, water heaters etc. only after informing the authorities concerned. The additional loads are connected only after receiving approval of load enhancement.
- Use electricity only for purpose for which the service connection has been given (e.g. Domestic/ commercial/ agriculture etc.)
- Safeguard the meter and other equipment’s of the department in your premises and ensure that, they are properly sealed.
- Get your supply converted from single phase to three phases as may be required as laid down in rules and regulations of the supply of Electricity.
- Pay electricity consumption bills promptly before due date of payment.
- If your premises were locked for any reason at the time of the visit of the Assessor for meter reading, the electricity supply companies may raise bills on average basis. However, ensure that next bill is received with the adjustment of the actual readings.
- Produce the bill at the counter at the time of making payment.
- If your service connection has been disconnected for non - payment, you may pay the amount due and the reconnection charges and intimate the concerned officer – in – charge to ensure the connection is reconnected. The companies have been mandated to adhere to the specified bench- marks for reconnection.
- If the meter is found to be defective or not running, bring the matter to the notice of the Engineer - in - charge in writing for replacement by a healthy meter. The consumer has a right to get meter tested by third party against testing fee in case he desires so.
- Get the internal wiring checked up periodically not only to avoid leakage of electricity but also safeguard the lives of the inmates in the premises.
- CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light)/ LED Bulbs and FTL (Fluorescent Tube Light) consumes less electricity and release no heat like the incandescent lamps. Hence prefer to use CFL / LED and FTL.
- In the present day technology, you can schedule using of washing machine, Geysers etc. during off peak hours which help in reducing load shedding.
- Use BEE star rated electrical appliances wherever applicable as they are energy efficient. The more star rated product consumes less electricity.
- Painting of roof and walls of the premises in white or light colors helps reflection of sun heat and hence are more energy efficient as compared to dark colored roof and walls.
- Use proper ratings/ capacity of Geysers, washing machines, refrigerators and air conditioners for optimum utilization and efficient energy consumption.
- Switch off the ACs, TV, Computers, Monitors etc. when not in use as keeping such devices on sleep/standby mode also consumes power.
- Use electronic regulators instead of normal mechanical regulators as they consume more electricity.
- Before storing the food stuff inside the refrigerator, allow the food stuff to attain room temperature. Do not allow refrigerator to frost. Defrost the refrigerator as soon as frost gets thicker
- The temperature setting for AC be normally kept at 25 to 27 degree.
- Be a responsible consumer. Asserts your Rights only after discharging your Responsibilities.
- Remember Energy saved is Energy produced. Switch off the lights, fans when no one is in the room as someone else in the Hospital may be in dire need of the electricity.
- Please raise your concern if you are not getting the service as you are entitled. Remember “Critics improves the Quality”. The first level of complaint against the Electricity Distribution company lies with the concerned official in your area of supplies and head office of the distribution company. The next level of the complaint in case of non - redressal or no response is Consumer Grievance Redressal Forum of the Distribution Company and Electricity Ombudsman of the State .
Guaranteed Standard Of Performance for supply of electricity in various states
Digitization of Cable TV through Digital Addressable System (DAS)
The Govt. of India has notified that it is obligatory for every Cable Operator to transmit or re - transmit of any channel in an encrypted form through a digital addressable system in the entire country in 4 phases by 31st December,2014.
In a Digital Addressable System (DAS), TV channels are sent through cable TV network in digital and encrypted form and only a uth orized users can receive channels using a Set Top Box. Under the digitization of TV transmission and reception:
- The consumers would be required to get install a Set Top Box (STB).
- There will be no requirement to change the TV system.
- A separate STB would be required in case you have more than one TV set in the same premises.
- The STB can be obtained from your local cable operator. Cable operator has to offer STB in options:
- Outright Purchase
- Rental and
- Hire - purchase scheme.
In case of Rental and Hire - Purchase Scheme:
- The cable operator should refund the security deposit (if any), after adjusting any dues on termination of the connection..
- If the consumer is not satisfied with the services provided by the cable operator, the consumer shall be free to opt out and cable operator shall allow the consumer to surrender the STB after deduction which shall not exceed 25% for each half year or part of it.
- The cable operator is required to give a minimum warranty of one year on STB acquired by a consumer on outright purchase basis. Consumer is not required to pay any charge towards repair and maintenance of STB during warranty period.
- In case of STB acquired under the hire - purchase scheme or on rental scheme, the consumer is not required to pay any charge to wards repair and maintenance of the STB during the period of hire - purchase or rental.
- The cable operator is required to offer TV channels individually on standalone basis or bouquet of channels.
- The following are the options of TV channel that can be subscribed by the consumer:
- Only FTA (Free to Air) channel - The cable operator can charge an amount not exceeding Rs.100/ - per connection per month plus Taxes. Cable operator has to compulsory offer a package of 100 FTA channel at a MRP of Rs.100/ - per connection per month.
- Package or bouquet of channels
- One or more channel on a - la - carte basis
- Bouquet of channels
- Pay channels and FTA channel.
- The requirement of new LPG connection can be registered with a proof of identity and residence. Some of the proofs of Residence that could be used are ration card, electricity bill, telephone bill, passport, employer’s certificate, LIC policy, voter card, rent receipt etc.
- Gas agencies cannot compel the consumers to buy any accessory such as hot plate, hose pipe etc. from them. The consumer is free to buy ISI mark items from anywhere he wish to buy. The perspective buyer should be in possession of ISI mark hot plate and hose pipe before new connection is released by company.
- Consumer is required to deposit security amount for LPG cylinder and pressure regulator as prescribed by the LPG companies for which Dealers/Distributers shall issue Subscription Voucher (SV) which is required to be kept safely.
- Dealers/Distributers are not allowed to charge any amount other than what has been prescribed by the companies.
- While taking the delivery of the refill, check the seal of the cylinder, safety cap, leakage from the valve and weight of the gas be- fore you pay to the delivery man.
- The delivery persons are required to carry weighing instrument.
- Get regular inspection done for LPG hot plate, hose pipe & regulator by authorized mechanics.
- Only one connection per kitchen in a household is allowed.
- In case you find less weight of the gas in the cylinder, ask delivery man to replace the same.
- The gas connection can be shifted in case the residence is being shifted. Intimate your new address along with supporting proof of residence in case the residence is being shifted within the same distributer’s area.
- In case the residence is being shifted to another distributer area, get transfer termination voucher from the existing distributer which could be deposited with the distributer of the area where the residence is being shifted. However the cylinder and pressure regulator need not be surrendered. New Distributer shall prepare A Transfer Subscription Voucher.
- In the case of shifting residence out of town, the cylinders and pressure regulator are required to be returned back to the existing Distributer. The distributer shall prepare a Termination Voucher (TV) and refund the security deposit. The Terminal Voucher (TV) shall be required to be deposited with the new distributer who would prepare Subscription Voucher (SV) and issue cylinders and regulator against deposit of security amount.
- The LPG cylinders are brought to circulation only if they are test certified by the concerned testing agencies. It is mandatory for the LPG companies to mark next schedule of testing on each and every cylinder. The date is mentioned on one of the three side stems of the LPG cylinder. The date is coded alpha - numeric such as A, B, C or D followed with a 2 digit number. A, B, C and D represents the quarters with A as quarter ending March and D as quarter ending December. The 2 digit number represents the year. Customer has right to refuse in accepting the delivery of the cylinder of which the scheduled date of testing has expired.
- The normal mode of delivery of LPG cylinders by the Distributers to the consumers is a “home delivery” only. In case home delivery is not possible under special circumstances like riots, curfews, strikes etc., consumers are entitled for rebate of Rs. 15/ - per refill.
Services Benchmarks/QoS parameters Tariff related issues:
- Presenting, marketing or offering tariff plan in any misleading manner is not permitted. All monthly fixed recurring charges which are compulsory for the subscriber under any given plan shall be conveyed as a single figure under one head.
- The Service Providers must inform the subscriber in writing, within a week of activation of service, the complete details of his tariff plan. In addition, as and when there are any changes in any aspect/item of tariff in the chosen package, the operator shall intimate, in writing, such changes to those subscribers whose tariff packages undergo a change.
- A tariff plan once offered by a service provider shall be available to a subscriber for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of his enrolment into that tariff plan. During this 6 months period, the service provider is free to reduce the tariff; but increase in any item of tariff in the plan is not permitted. However, the subscriber is free to choose any other tariff plan even during the 6 months period.
- Subscriber has the right to move from one tariff plan to another plan offered by the service provider at any point of time without having to pay any fee for the migration. A subscriber's request for a change of tariff plan shall be accepted and implemented immediately or from the start of the next billing cycle.
- All services, which do not affect “ talk time value”, including incoming voice calls/SMS shall continue to be available to the Prepaid Subscribers during the entire validity period even if the talk time value has been exhausted.
- The unused balance of prepaid subscribers has to be carried forward during the grace period applicable at the time of recharge.
- The subscriber is entitled to get details of the usage for a period of past 6 months at a cost not exceeding Rs. 50/ - . The company is mandated to provide the information within 30 days of receipt of the request.
Value Added Services
- No chargeable value added service, shall be provided to a subscriber without his explicit consent. Any value added service, which was earlier being provided free of charge, shall not be made chargeable without the explicit consent of the customer. The above provisions are also applicable to Internet Service Providers.
- Voice Mail Service should not be offered without the prior consent of the subscriber .
- TRAI has allowed the telecom service provider for auto - renewal of the VAS. The companies are required to send SMS within 3 days prior to the schedule date of expiry of the existing VAS. If the subscriber do not wish to renew the ser- vices, need to deactivate within 3 days of the SMS else the companies would renew the same.
- In case the value added service has been activated without explicit consent of the subscriber, the amount so deducted from the subscriber’s account is to be refunded back within 24 hours.
- The Service Providers must publish in all communications/ advertisements relating to premium rate services, e.g. ring tones, wall paper, astrology, quiz etc. the pulse rate/ tariff for the service.
- Websites of the service providers shall contain comparison of tariff plans in terms of estimated monthly bill. i.e. financial implications based on certain preset assumptions along with the complete details.
Rebate in rent for delays in repair of fault
In case any fault in respect of fixed line is not repaired within 3 days rebates in rent should be given as follows:
- Faults pending for >3 days and < 7 days : Rent rebate for 7 days.
- Faults pending for >7 days and < 15 days : Rent rebate for 15 days
- Faults pending for >15 days : Rent rebate for 1 month.
Refund of security deposit
- The security deposit after adjustment of dues, if any, is required to be refunded to subscribers within a time frame of 60 (sixty) days. The service provider has also to pay an interest @ 10% per annum for any delay in making refund within the stipulated period.
Provision of detailed bill for STD/ISD charges
- On the request from a post - paid subscriber, the operator has to provide detailed bill for STD/ISD calls free of charge.
- Whenever a subscriber roam into another license area he should be informed through SMS by the operator that he will be charged for the roaming facility only when he chooses to either make or receive a call while roaming and no roaming .
Registration, maintenance of wait list for fixed telephone
- Telephone connections should be provided to the prospective subscribers on first come first served basis without any discrimination.
- Operators should not deny Registration for provision of telephone connections to a prospective subscriber on any account until directed by the Licensor in writing to so refuse.
- Wait list should be maintained and strictly followed for providing telephone connections.
- TRAI is not empowered to handle individual consumer complaints against service providers, but will look into issues of systemic failure or of generic nature affecting large number of consumers. Consumers may approach the service provid- ers or Consumer Redressal Forum for redressal of their grievances.
- The complaints in the first instance may be lodged with toll free number of the customer care center of the service provider. In case the company is not able to resolve the issue satisfactory within the specified time, the complaint can be submitted to the Appellate Authority of the company.
Mobile Number Portability
- The subscribers are free to change their service provider by retaining the same number. In case of a new number, the porting request can be made only after 90 days of the activation of the connection.
- In case of prepaid subscriber, the balance amount of talk time at the time of porting the number shall lapse.
- An amount of Rs.19/ - is chargeable as porting fee.
Unsolicited Commercial Communication
- The subscribers who do not wish to receive telemarketing calls either fully or partially need to get registered their number with NDNC or NCPR, The registration could be done by telephone/SMS at 1909.
- The telemarketing calls has to be done by the registered telemarketer only .
- The telemarketers are mandated to originate telemarketing calls only from a 10 digit number using 140 series numbers. The telemarketing messages are required to be identified through 9 digit alpha - numeric code.
Source : State Consumer Helpline Knowledge Portal