Insurance coverage for LPG users
Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) - Indian Oil, Hindustan Petroleum and Bharat Petroleum, take comprehensive Insurance Policy under ‘Public Liability Policy for Oil Industries’ to provide speedy relief to the affected persons in case of LPG related accidents. It covers all LPG consumers registered with OMCs.
Overview of the policy
- The Oil Marketing Companies take a comprehensive Insurance Policy called "Public Liability Policy for Oil Industries". The insurance policy taken by LPG Distributors/ PSU Oil Marketing Companies are Public Liability Policies and are not in the name of any individual LPG customer.
- No premium for any Insurance policy is collected from the customer by the LPG distributors.
- The claim amount is remitted to the concerned Oil Company who in turn remits it to the claimant / beneficiary.
- The comprehensive Insurance Policy taken by PSU Oil Marketing Companies provides for claims on account of
- Legal liability
- Personal accident cover to third party and
- Damage at authorized customers’ registered premises
Scope of coverage
Public Liability Insurance Policy taken by OMCs covers losses arising out of accidents where LPG is the primary cause of fire and not for cases where the primary cause of fire is other sources/reason wherein LPG cylinders gets engulfed and subsequently burst.
Currently, the policy provides for the following:
- Personal accident cover of Rs 6,00,000/- per person in case of death.
- Covers medical expenses of Rs 30 lakh per event with maximum of Rs 2,00,000/- per person.
- In case of property damage, it covers maximum of Rs 2,00,000/- per event at authorised customer’s registered premises.
Procedure to be followed by customers
Source : MyLPG
- In case of any accident involving consumer’s installation, he/she has to forthwith advice the supplying distributor.
- Whenever an accident is reported, the concerned Area Office investigates the cause of accident and if the accident is LPG accident, the local office of the Insurance Company is notified by the concerned distributor / Area Office and subsequently lodges claim with the concerned Insurance Company.
- Customers are not required to apply to Insurance Company or to contact them directly.
- Customers are required to submit to the Oil Company the originals of Death Certificate(s) and Post Mortem report(s) /Coroners report/Inquest report, as applicable, in case of deaths and original Medical Bills, Doctors' Prescriptions in original supporting the purchase of the medicines, Discharge Card in original and any other documents related to the hospitalization in case of injuries.
- In case of property damage at customers’ registered premises, the Insurance Company appoints their Surveyor to assess the loss.
- Claims are settled based upon the merit of each case. The concerned Insurance Company takes decision regarding settlement of the claim as per the provisions of Insurance Policies.
Last Modified : 2/21/2020
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.