National Scheme of Incentive to Girls for Secondary Education
The Centrally Sponsored Scheme - National Scheme of Incentives to Girls for Secondary Education was launched in May 2008. It aims to promote enrollment of girl child in the age group of 14-18 at secondary stage, especially those who passed Class VIII and to encourage the secondary education of such girls.
- All SC/ST girls who pass class VIII and
- Girls, who pass class VIII examination from Kastrurba Gandhi Balika Vidyalayas (irrespective of whether they belong to Scheduled Castes or Tribes) and enroll for class IX in State/UT Government, Government-aided or local body schools.
- Girls should be below 16 years of age ( as on 31st March) on joining class IX
- Married girls, girls studying in private un-aided schools and enrolled in schools run by Central Government are excluded.
A sum of Rs. 3000 (Rupees three thousand only) would be deposited under term deposit/ fixed deposit in a public sector bank or in a post office in the name of every eligible girl child. The term/ period of the deposit may be counted from the date of deposit to the date on which the girl child attains the age of 18 years. No premature withdrawal will be allowed.
- An account will be opened in the name of the beneficiary in the nearest public sector bank or in a post office by the implementing agency (State/ UT Governments or the autonomous organizations, as the case may be) and the amount deposited in a Fixed Term Deposit.
- A passbook or a certificate would be given to t he student, which will also identify her as a beneficiary of the scheme.
- The beneficiary will have to continue her study at least for two years in the secondary school after her enrollment in Class IX in order to avail the benefit under the scheme. The Principal/ Head of the school will furnish a certificate to this effect.
- To be eligible to draw the matured amount a pre -condition would be for the beneficiary to pass class X Board examination successfully.
- On attaining 18 years of age and production of
- 10th class pass certificate and
- a certificate from the Principal / Head of the school that the girl beneficiary has continued her study for at least two years after enrollment in Class IX the implementing agency will authorize the bank to transfer the matured amount in the interest bearing account to the savings account in the name of the girl beneficiary.
State/ UT Governments, Schools controlled and managed by State Governments, Local Bodies and Aided Private Schools and Panchayati Raj Institutions will be the implementing partners. The amount of incentive may be released to the State/ UT Governments for depositing, the same in favour of the eligible girls.
For online application, Click here
Source: Ministry of HRD
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.