FASTag for Electronic Toll Collection
This topic provides information about FASTag for Electronic Toll Collection.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has launched two mobile Apps – MyFASTag and FASTag Partner to facilitate the availability of FASTags for Electronic Toll Collection.
What is Electronic Toll Collection (ETC)?
ETC is the Electronic payment of highway tolls without human intervention. ETC systems use vehicle-to-roadside communication technologies to perform an electronic monetary transaction between a vehicle and the toll collection agency.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it. It is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle and enables you to drive through toll plazas, without stopping for cash transactions. The tag can be purchased from Tag issuers and if it is linked to the prepaid account, then you need to recharge/ top up the tag as per your requirement.
All lanes of all 371 NHAI toll plazas in the country will become FASTag enabled from 1st October 2017. One lane in every toll plaza will be a dedicated FASTag lane where no other form of payment will be accepted. The other lanes, though FASTag enabled, can accept other forms of payment too. The dedicated FASTag lanes has become operational on all 371 NHAI toll plazas from 1st September 2017.
The Government of India has mandated that new vehicles being sold with effect from 1st October, 2017 will be affixed with active FASTag. The “FASTag Partner App” will facilitate more than 6000 dealers in the country to access a single platform and activate the FASTag at the time of delivery of vehicle.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Cashless payment – FASTag users don’t need to carry cash for toll transactions, and don’t need to worry about collecting the exact change
- Faster transit – Auto - debit of exact amount through the FASTag enables faster transit through the toll plazas and saves time
- Online recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking
- SMS alerts – Instant SMS alerts on registered mobile number for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
How can I buy FASTag?
- Online sale of FASTags - FASTag can be purchased online from Issuer Banks websites / NHAI website / IHMCL website and will be delivered by courier at the door step of the purchaser.
- Mobile app - MyFASTag is a consumer App that can be downloaded from the App Store for both Android and iOS systems. A consumer can purchase or recharge FASTags on this App. The App also helps to keep track of transactions and provides for online grievance redressal. To download the app for Android, click here.
- You may visit any of the Point of Sale (POS) locations of the certified issuing banks (ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, IDFC Bank and State Bank of India) at Toll Plazas or Banks’ sales offices to get your tag account created. Alternatively, you can reach out to the Issuing Bank Customer Care numbers to identify the closest POS location – You will need to carry original as well as copy of your KYC document s at the POS / Sales office location. You will need to get your vehicle to the POS / Sale office location to purchase the FASTag.
- Documents required for purchase of FASTag - Since the FAS Tag is linked to an account, KYC documentation would be required as per the KYC policy of the Issuer Bank. Apart from the KYC documentation, y ou need to submit Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle along with the application for FASTag.
Customer Care Helplines of Issuing banks -
- ICICI Bank (Customer care 1800 210 0104)
- Axis Bank (Customer care 1800 103 5577)
- IDFC Bank (Customer care 1800 266 9970)
- SBI Bank (Customer care 1800 110 018)
What are the charges for FASTag?
FASTag is issued by Issuing Banks and banks can charge maximum of Rs. 200/ - for each tag. However, the actual tag issuing charges are defined by the Issuing Bank and may vary from bank to bank.
I reside within 10 k m of a particular toll plaza. Do I need to take FASTag to get the concessions available for local vehicles?
You can purchase a FASTag to avail the concessions. Once you purchase the FASTag, you will need to submit the required documents (proof of residence) at the Acquiring Bank POS location to validate your residence within 10 km of a particular plaza. Once it is verified, you may avail the concession on the FASTag assigned to your vehicle.
Source : NHAI
All 4 wheel Motor Vehicles sold after 1st December 2017 to be fitted with FASTags
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has issued a Gazette Notification according to which all four wheel motor vehicles sold on or after 1st December 2017 will have FASTags fitted on them by the manufacturer of the vehicle or its authorized dealer, as the case may be. In case of vehicles that are sold as drive away chassis without wind screen, FASTag will have to be fitted by the vehicle owner before it is registered. Necessary amendments have been made to the relevant sections of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 in this regard.