FASTag for Electronic Toll Collection
This topic provides information about FASTag for Electronic Toll Collection.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has launched two mobile Apps – MyFASTag and FASTag Partner to facilitate the availability of FASTags for Electronic Toll Collection.
What is Electronic Toll Collection (ETC)?
ETC is the Electronic payment of highway tolls without human intervention. ETC systems use vehicle-to-roadside communication technologies to perform an electronic monetary transaction between a vehicle and the toll collection agency.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly from the prepaid or savings account linked to it. It is affixed on the windscreen of your vehicle and enables you to drive through toll plazas, without stopping for cash transactions. The tag can be purchased from Tag issuers and if it is linked to the prepaid account, then you need to recharge/top up the tag as per your requirement.
FASTag is acceptable across over 490 National Highways toll plazas and selected 39+ State highways toll plazas. All lanes of fee plazas on National Highways are "FASTag lanes" from January 2020, while provisioning one lane (in each direction) which would be kept as hybrid lane to accept FASTag and other modes of payment.
The Government of India has mandated that new vehicles being sold with effect from 1st October, 2017 are affixed with active FASTag. The “FASTag Partner App” will facilitate more than 6000 dealers in the country to access a single platform and activate the FASTag at the time of delivery of vehicle.
What are the benefits of using FASTag?
- Cashless payment – FASTag users don’t need to carry cash for toll transactions, and don’t need to worry about collecting the exact change
- Faster transit – Auto - debit of exact amount through the FASTag enables faster transit through the toll plazas and saves time
- Online recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking
- SMS alerts – Instant SMS alerts on registered mobile number for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
How can I buy FASTag?
- Online sale of FASTags - FASTag can be purchased online from Issuer Banks websites / NHAI website / IHMCL website and will be delivered by courier at the door step of the purchaser.
- Mobile app - MyFASTag is a consumer App that can be downloaded for Android. A consumer can purchase or recharge FASTags on this App. The App also helps to keep track of transactions and provides for online grievance redressal. To download the app for Android, click here.
- You may visit any of the Point of Sale (POS) locations of the certified issuing banks at Toll Plazas or Banks’ sales offices to get your tag account created. FASTag may be purchased from over 28,500 Point-of-Sale locations set up by various banks and IHMCL/NHAI which includes all NH fee plazas, RTOs, Common Service Centers, transport hubs, bank branches, selected petrol pumps, etc. For retail segment (car/jeep/van) FASTag may be purchase online on Amazon and by visiting websites of different member banks such as SBI, ICICI bank, Axis bank, Paytm Payment Banks, HDFC bank, IDFC First bank, etc.. Alternatively, you can reach out to the Issuing Bank Customer Care numbers to identify the closest POS location – You will need to carry original as well as copy of your KYC document s at the POS / Sales office location. You will need to get your vehicle to the POS / Sale office location to purchase the FASTag. You can also call 1033 NH Helpline number to get the details.
- Documents required for purchase of FASTag - Since the FAS Tag is linked to an account, KYC documentation would be required as per the KYC policy of the Issuer Bank. Apart from the KYC documentation, you need to submit Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle along with the application for FASTag.
- FASTag has unlimited validity. The same FASTag can be used till the tag is read by the reader and not tampered with. In case due to wear and tear the reading quality depreciates, please reach out to your Issuing Bank for a new tag.
What are the charges for FASTag?
FASTag is issued by Issuing Banks and banks can charge maximum of Rs. 200/ - for each tag. However, the actual tag issuing charges are defined by the Issuing Bank and may vary from bank to bank.
I reside within 10 k m of a particular toll plaza. Do I need to take FASTag to get the concessions available for local vehicles?
You can purchase a FASTag to avail the concessions. Once you purchase the FASTag, you will need to submit the required documents (proof of residence) at the Acquiring Bank POS location to validate your residence within 10 km of a particular plaza. Once it is verified, you may avail the concession on the FASTag assigned to your vehicle.
Source : NHAI
All 4 wheel Motor Vehicles sold after 1st December 2017 fitted with FASTags
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has issued a Gazette Notification according to which all four wheel motor vehicles sold on or after 1st December 2017 will have FASTags fitted on them by the manufacturer of the vehicle or its authorized dealer, as the case may be. In case of vehicles that are sold as drive away chassis without wind screen, FASTag will have to be fitted by the vehicle owner before it is registered. Necessary amendments have been made to the relevant sections of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 in this regard.
All lanes of National Highways to be FASTag lanes
To give a major fillip to enhance digital payments and bring in enhanced transparency, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways had mandated to declare all lanes of fee plazas on National Highways as "FASTag lanes" from January 2020, while provisioning one lane (in each direction) which would be kept as hybrid lane to accept FASTag and other modes of payment.
As per Government Gazette notification, any vehicle without a FASTag entering into a “FASTag lane” at a NH fee plaza shall have to pay a fee equivalent to two times of the applicable fees to that category of vehicle.
Missed Call Alert Facility for NHAI prepaid Wallet FASTag balance enquiry
To provide hassle-free and convenient services to FASTag users linked to NHAI prepaid wallet, Indian Highways Management Company Ltd. (IHMCL), a company promoted by NHAI, has announced introduction of Missed Call Alert Facility for NHAI Prepaid Wallet balance enquiry. FASTag customers who have registered their mobile number can now get the balance of their NHAI prepaid wallet by giving a missed call from their registered mobile number to: +91-8884333331.
Main features of this facility are as under:
- This is free of cost facility available 24X7.
- Compatible on all mobile devices and operators.
- No Internet required.
- If there are more than one vehicle linked to a unique NHAI prepaid wallet, then the SMS would show the cumulative balance of all tags assigned to each vehicle. Thereafter, if any of the vehicle has got a low balance, a separate SMS shall be sent at the registered mobile number, showing low balance.
- This facility is available only to NHAI FASTag users linked to NHAI prepaid wallet. As of now, balance of other NHAI FASTag which are linked to various bank accounts can’t be fetched through this facility.