Various abuse and threats that children face today are mentioned here
Watch Video- KOMAL - A film on Child Sexual Abuse (CSA).
A study on Child Abuse: India 2007, conducted by Ministry of Women and Child development (GOI) revealed that across different kinds of abuse, it is young children in the 5-12 year group are most at risk of abuse and exploitation. This involves physical, sexual as well as emotional abuse.
The study throws light on the following facts:
- Two out of every three children were physically abused.
- Out of 69% children physically abused, 54.68% were boys.
- Over 50% children were being subjected to one or the other form of physical abuse.
- Out of those children physically abused in family situations, 88.6% were physically abused by parents.
- The State of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar and Delhi have almost consistently reported higher rates of abuse in all forms as compared to other states.
- 50.2% children worked seven days a week.
- 53.22% children reported having faced one or more forms of sexual abuse.
- Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar and Delhi reported the highest percentage of sexual abuse among both boys and girls.
- 21.90% child respondents reported facing severe forms of sexual abuse and 50.76% other forms of sexual abuse.
- Children in Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Bihar and Delhi reported the highest incidence of sexual assault.
- 50% abuses are persons known to the child or in a position of trust and responsibility.
Emotional Abuse and Girl Child Neglect
- Every second child reported facing emotional abuse.
- Equal percentage of both girls and boys reported facing emotional abuse.
- In 83% of the cases parents were the abusers.
- 48.4% of girls wished they were boys.