Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
This topic provides the Information related to Pre-Matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities
Objectives of the schemes are:
- To support students with disabilities for their study in classes IX and X onwards so that the incidence of drop-out, especially in the transition from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized,
- To improve participation of students with disabilities in classes IX and X and at the pre-matric stage of education.
- To support students with disabilities to study further in order to prepare themselves to earn their livelihood and to find a dignified place for themselves in the society as they face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity.
- All Graduate & Post Graduate courses recognised by UGC will be covered under Post-Matric Scholarship
ScopeScholarships under this scheme will be available for studying in classes IX, X, XI, XII, post-matriculation diploma/certificates and Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in India and Master’s Degree from any University recognised by UGC, to students with disabilities who are covered under the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunity, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 and the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities Act, 1999 and/or under any relevant legal statute in force.
Only Indian Nationals will be eligible for scholarships. Scholarship under the Scheme will be awarded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disability, Government of India.
Conditions of Eligibility
- The scholarships are open to nationals of India only.
- The students having less than 40% disability (Certified by competent medical authority of the state Governments/UTs.) are not eligible.
- Not more than two disabled children of the same parents will be entitled to receive benefits of the scheme. Provided in case the second child is a twin, the scholarship under this scheme will be admissible to both the twins.
- Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student has to repeat a class, she / he would not get scholarship for that class for a second (or subsequent) year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend. If awarded any other scholarship/stipend, the student can exercise his/her option for either of the two scholarships/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him/her and should inform the awarding authority through the Head of the Institution about the option made. No scholarship will be paid to the students under this scheme from the date he/she accepts another scholarship/stipend. The student can however, accept free lodging or a grant or ad-hoc monetary help from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment or for meeting the expenses on board and lodging in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme.
- Scholarship holders who are receiving coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the Central Government/ State Government will not be eligible for stipend under the coaching schemes for the duration of the coaching programme.
For Pre-matric scholarship
- She/he should be a regular, full time student studying in class IX or X in a Government school or in a school recognized by Govt. or by a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
Value of Scholarship
The value of Pre - matric scholarship includes the following for complete duration of the course:
Rates of Scholarship and Grant
|Rate of Scholarship (in Rs. Per month) payable for 10 months in an academic year.||350||600|
|Book and adhoc grant (Rs. Per annum)||750||1000|
|Allowances||Amount (in Rs.)|
|a) Monthly Reader Allowance for Blind students||160|
|b) Monthly Transport Allowance, if such students do not reside in the hostel which is with in the premises of the Educational Institution.||160|
|c) Monthly Escort Allowance for Severely Disabled (i.e. with 80% or higher disability) Day Scholars/Students With low extremity disability||160|
|d) Monthly Helper allowance admissible to any employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopaedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an educational institution who may need the assistance of a helper||160|
|e) Monthly Coaching Allowance to Mentally retarded and mentally ill students||240|
For online applications, click here.
For FAQs on online application submission, click here.
Last Date for submission of application : 31.10.2017
For more information about the scholarship, click here.
Source: National Scholarship Portal