This topic covers about Knee pain, its causes and care.
Knee pain usually results from overuse, assuming poor posture during physical activity or inadequate stretching. Being overweight causes greater risk for knee problems.
- Knee pain can be caused by:
- Inflammation from repeated pressure on the knee (like kneeling for long periods of time, overuse, or injury).
- a pain in the front of your knee that gets worse when going up and down stairs
- Torn cartilage or ligament
- Strain or sprain
- Dislocation of the kneecap
- Infection in the joint
- Knee injuries
- Hip disorders - may cause pain that is felt in the knee.
Less common conditions that can lead to knee pain include bone tumors
Many causes of knee pain, especially those related to overuse or physical activity, respond well to self-care:
- Rest and avoid activities that aggravate the pain, especially weight bearing activities.
- Apply ice. First, apply it every hour for up to 15 minutes. After the first day, apply it at least 4 times per day.
- Keep your knee elevated as much as possible to bring any swelling down.
- Take medication for pain and swelling
- Sleep with a pillow underneath or between your knees.
Illustrations and Images
Lower Leg Muscles
Leg pain (Osgood-Schlatter)
Source: Portal Content Team